Saturday, April 26, 2008

Crazy Rabbit

I'd just motioned for the hounds to walk out onto the deck this morning when we all spotted Mr. Rabbit, his cottony little behind scampering around the far corner of the yard. On the sudden appearance of three Greyhounds, he panicked and began zig zagging to and fro across the yard in a desperate attempt to find his way out. Oh, no! Anyone who's watched Greyhounds at a lure coursing event knows how they react to anything zipping across a field - even plastic bags. I tried not to panic myself while I wondered how I was going to restrain some 200 lbs. of dogs from careening down the deck stairs in hot pursuit.

When I turn the dogs out, I always position myself in front them and walk down the steps first because of situations just like this. Twice before I started doing this a certain little brindle girl (who fancies herself a huntress) only bothered with the first couple of steps before taking flight toward the ground and the object of her obsession. In addition, the steps are steep and I don't want anyone crashing down them - better to hit me first. I may change my mind about that, however, if an 80-lb. male misses a step and plows into me. But I digress...

Binder, Grayson and Sara were on high alert, and during the couple of minutes it took Mr. Rabbit to find an escape route I grew increasingly doubtful of his chances. He was really testing the dogs' patience. Their ears were standing straight up and they panted as they watched him zip to and fro, here and there. I kept telling them, "No, we are not chasing bunnies today. No, sorry, uh-uh. No bunny for you three. Mr. Rabbit definitely does not want to play with you guys." Although Sara wasn't listening quite as well as Binder and Grayson (she tried to dodge around me), I was amazed that I did not have to physically restrain them. Good dogs.

Since this morning Binder keeps checking the windows that overlook the back yard, just in case Mr. Rabbit didn't learn his lesson the first time. Buddy, I don't think he's gonna come scampering into this yard again any time soon.

0 comments: